Appreciating Talent

I love basketball. I think I was around 16 or 17 when I started playing as a big, extremely uncoordinated boofhead running the court, pulling down the occasional rebound and not scoring a single point (and definitely not dribbling) in my first season in F grade.

But I fell in love with the sport anyway. I kept practicing and playing against anyone I could find, and being 6'4" (193 cms) probably helped when playing against the local homies, school friends and my younger brothers.

I did eventually find an upper limit to how far I could go with basketball, and now I'm content to watch NBA on TV and shoot around in the backyard with the kids.

Which brings me to the whole point of today's story: professional basketballers, the ones on TV, are good. Crazy good. Check this article over at Basketball-Reference which is a great reminder of the fact:

...I always laugh when some fans are watching a game and say "I could do that!"... Well, no, you couldn't. The average fan seems to have a shaky grasp at times on the vast, gaping, astronomical chasm that exists between their own abilities (or even the abilities of the best basketball player they've ever known/played with) and those of the worst NBA player who ever played...
I know I came away from the article with a good appreciation of the enormous talent that professional basketball players (and other high-level athletes) have, which as a fan of the game is sometimes easy to forget.

Tags: , ,

3 Responses to "Appreciating Talent"

Tommy said... Monday, May 03, 2010 5:00:00 PM

Haha my name is Thomas Williams as well, and I'm a graphics designer based in Sydney! Another strange coincidence is I know people in Frankston and visit Melbourne quite often (some of my closest friends live in Mill Park/Bundoora)..
Just thought I had to mention it :)

Thomas said... Monday, May 03, 2010 8:06:00 PM

Hey Tommy, thanks for stopping by. Small world eh?

Daria said... Monday, September 27, 2010 6:46:00 AM

Hi Thomases and Tommy,
my name is totally different as is my gender, just want to add some spice to the "small world" feeling with my Croatian nationality.
We used to be big exporteres of basketball players, now it's more of tennis, handball and swimming. Currently living in in Phoenix-AZ, I am trying to figure out American sports. Sundevils helped a little with football. But D-backs this Wednesday left me in the dark. Maybe because a friend from overseas was trying to explain some cricket by the way and it was too much for a simple blonde head. All the rest was real fun though. We should do more cheerleading, mascots and music in European sports.

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009