I'm A Guitar Hero

I've been playing Guitar Hero: World Tour (Metacritic review (85), Wikipedia link) since Wifey gave it to me for Christmas. It's a fun rhythm-based family game for our new XBox 360, with no shooting or killing, and it's pretty easy to learn whether or not you know how to play guitar. Here's me, rockin' the Williams live concert arena:

GH:WT has beautiful graphics - the music is synchronised with the character animations, making it look like the singer is singing the lyrics, the guitarist is playing the exact guitar part, and so on - and a well-made wireless controller that's basically guitar size. A drum kit and microphone can also be purchased for the complete band experience. My advice is to wait for specials on the game though; at $160 plus (Australian) for just the guitar and game, it's not particularly cheap.

The real strength of the game is the great line-up of songs. Suprisingly, the songs I enjoy playing are "pop" from bands I'd mostly never heard of: for example, Tokio Hotel's Monsoon, 311's Beautiful Disaster, and Lazy Eye by Silver Sun Pickup (which sounds a lot like an old Breeders tune). There are over 80 songs in the game (here's the full track list at Fake Plastic Rock) including some Jimi Hendrix, Nirvana, Foo Fighters, REM, and even Michael Jackson, so everyone's musical taste should be catered for.

Guitar Hero: World Tour is a must-have game if you've got an XBox 360 and like music. And an added bonus is hearing the kids say, after a hard song, "Dad, you rock!"

Links: Offical site, Fake Plastic Rock blog

Tags: , , ,

4 Responses to "I'm A Guitar Hero"

Leigh said... Thursday, April 09, 2009 2:31:00 PM

Now, why would a man like you, who can rock in real life and owns a nice Les Paul copy, need to resort to this Tomfoolery?

Then again, with my band on the brink of folding thanks to too many members, with too many mental illnesses, with too many aversions to getting professional help ("Oh, its all under control - I'm getting councelling from my pastor's wife!") with too many "Got the hots for lead guitarist instead of my hubby... who, me? No!", perhaps guitar hero really is the way to go.

Thomas said... Thursday, April 09, 2009 9:30:00 PM

L-Dog! Commiserations about the band, sounds like some serious rock'n'roll attitude happening :-)

Guitar Hero is nothing like the real thing. But it *is* fun. Don't dis it until you've tried it...

Liv said... Wednesday, April 15, 2009 1:21:00 PM

You know you 'da man! We love watching you rocking away, but I don't know if that photo of you is your try "rockin' face"...
Love You...You Rock!

Thomas said... Wednesday, April 15, 2009 6:23:00 PM

My rocking face...saw a photo of that somewhere...http://www.metal-rules.com/where/images/JoeyAllenDual.jpg :-)

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009