Leisure Time and Time Sinks

Leisure time, "downtime", or relaxation time is a funny thing. Lately I feel like I've been greedily grabbing as much as I can. Because of this, I've realised that there's an upper limit to how much I can relax.

Some things I choose to do in my leisure time seem to suck up a lot of time. Reading blogs, writing for my blogs, playing XBox, mucking around on the computer, and Facebook are my major "time sinks". They're OK in moderation, but if I'm not careful they can expand to fill my available time.

Why would I want to say at the end of the year that I've clocked up 12,000 hours on the XBox, or 1,200 YouTube videos watched, or 120 "What superhero/dictator/celebrity/green vegetable are you" apps on my Facebook profile...what would I have to show for it?

So, starting today, I'm taking a 3 month break from blogging, reading blogs, and I'm lowering my Facebook time too. No more pouring time into the time sink; I'm going to stop being so greedy with my leisure time. I'd like to get back into my other interests - playing guitar, reading books, getting fit - and maybe learn something new, improve our home, and feel like I earn leisure time.

Watch this space - I'll be back!

2 Responses to "Leisure Time and Time Sinks"

rodneyolsen said... Wednesday, July 30, 2008 8:49:00 AM

I look forward to your return. Enjoy your redirected leisure time.

Liv said... Monday, September 01, 2008 12:43:00 PM

Love you, enjoying you, but am happy for you to enjoy what you enjoy doing!

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009