Winter Food

Winter is one of my favorite times of the year. When I think of winter I think of crisp mornings, cosy fires, stormy bay views, complete darkness (as complete as you can get in the 'burbs at night), my birthday, and of course, winter food.

Here's some of my favorite winter foods, some of which have been around since I was a kid, and some of which - gasp! - I can actually make:

  • Chilli Con Carne - Mexican-style beef mince on rice (like this recipe). Yum.
  • Spaghetti Bolognese - can be made basic or fancy, preferably not from a tin, but must include red wine, according to Olivia :-)
  • Soup - Olivia makes a great cauliflower and bacon soup (I scanned her recipe, at left), and a fantastic pumpkin soup. I love soup, but I've always maintained that by itself it's not a meal...add some thick-sliced bread, though, and it comes close!
  • Pizza - Olivia discovered an easy-to-make base at a Tupperware "party", and it's become a family favorite. Almost anything can be used as topping.
  • Casserole/Stew - OK, so meat is a recurring theme here. I don't think I've ever met a casserole I didn't like.
  • Last of all, Roast - the meat cooked in the Weber, with roast vegetables from the oven - perfect for having guests. Lamb, pork or beef are all good.
Wow. Now I'm hungry!

Tags: , ,

3 Responses to "Winter Food"

rodneyolsen said... Wednesday, June 25, 2008 7:57:00 PM

Mmm! If you weren't so far away I'd jump straight in the car and head over to share some of your winter food.

Thomas said... Wednesday, June 25, 2008 10:33:00 PM

Hey Rodney, you're always welcome next time you're over!

I bet it was the soup recipe that did it for you...

Cheers, Thomas

Olivia said... Thursday, June 26, 2008 4:57:00 PM

Mmmmmmm.....food.!

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009