Social Gaffes

Are you meant to eat the little sprig of parsley at the side of a plate of salad served at a café?

Is it permissible to use your finger to collect all the icing sugar that fell off your apple & cinnamon crumble at the coffee shop, and then lick your finger?

Is it acceptable to use your hands to pick up and eat a focaccia or a meat pie? (If so, why are they often delivered with knife and fork?)

I only ask because I'm trying to make sure I'm setting a good example for my kids when we eat out :-)

Tags: , , ,

3 Responses to "Social Gaffes"

siMon said... Sunday, August 12, 2007 2:35:00 PM

I would answer by contriving my own paraphrase of the Apostle Paul - 'everything is permissible for me... if you do it in such a way that is subtle, natural and inconspicuous'. It's all about being in 'control' of the situation- I think another good example is the classic episode of seinfeld in which Elaine's boss, Mr Pitt, eats a snickers bar with a knife and fork in such a way that it starts a trend that sweeps the city. In such cases, instead of being subtle, sometimes being extravagant as a means to communicating the creation of a new social norm is preferred.

Thomas said... Monday, August 13, 2007 1:29:00 PM

Ah Simon, wise advice. I know some etiquette for drinking sake or eating sushi or rice balls, but I realised I had a gap in my Aussie cultural knowledge...not any more!

Plus, parsley is delicious. Meat pies taste better when eaten with our God-given hands. And I paid for the icing sugar, so I'm gonna enjoy it :-)

Thomas

Anonymous said... Thursday, August 16, 2007 11:20:00 AM

SIMON......

DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM!!!!!!

Love Liv

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009