Male Spirituality: God The Father

I posted the other day about Paul Fromont's post on Male Spirituality.

I've been thinking about the first point: men's identification of God as Father. How do I think of God?

The Bible identifies God as "father", so I'm not in any confusion about His gender. I don't think it's fair to assume God is like the various Dad's I've known. But it does drag out all the good and bad about "fathers" that I've experienced, and that I guess is the block to my growing as a Christian.

Sometimes I think of God as a fairly authoritarian Father, and I see me as a teenager, that only talks to him from time to time. Sometimes I'm more the little kid, seeking God's approval. My Dad is (still) a great Dad - just felt I needed to clear that up :-)

OK, so here it is: I guess I think of God as some combination of my own Dad, me as a Dad (that's pretty vain...God in my image!), and some "ideal" Dad that only exists in my dreams.

I don't know quite what I'm supposed to think, but I guess I'm just surprised at what I do think.

Hmmm...

Tags: , , ,

2 Responses to "Male Spirituality: God The Father"

Anonymous said... Monday, August 13, 2007 1:32:00 PM

Apparently, males have one of the most difficult jobs, trying to live up to/live in constant failure of how awesome God is as a father. Like you mentioned, we attach our likeness of fatherhood that we have experienced, onto God, and then blame God for those experiences, even though they have happened in a fallen world.
God is everything the best father could possibly do, and more. I, too, have a great dad, but my understanding is that we need to honour our earthly fathers, but reserve a special adoration for our heavenly father. I guess it comes back to building a relationship with God so that we can truly adore and respect and worship Him. Afteralll, we only do these things to our 'dads' when we know them and have a relationship with them.

I love your blog...and you!

Thomas said... Wednesday, August 15, 2007 1:14:00 PM

Thanks Anonny. A very well-written and insightful reply - it's good to know that I'm not alone in having trouble picturing God as the perfect Father!

And I appreciate the comment about relationship, something I often forget.

Thomas

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009