New Elliott Smith Album

A new posthumous album from one of my favorite artists, Elliott Smith, is soon to be released called New Moon (Amazon link). Elliott Smith committed suicide in 2003, and New Moon is a collection of demos from the mid-1990's, probably his most memorable time.

Perhaps I was in a morbid mood because I actually laughed when I read this short review on Blender.com. Here's my favorite bits:

These 24 tracks, recorded during the late Elliott Smith’s mid-’90s peak, capture the bruised troubadour in full bloom: a mostly unheard mix of drug ballads, defeated love songs and tart character studies of fellow broken souls, some of which match all but his greatest...New Moon sounds less like a pile of outtakes than an official album released in a parallel universe—one where Smith managed to dodge the reaper and keep on singing...
Even the title of the review strikes me as funny: "Mopey tunesmith amazes from beyond the grave".

Maybe Elliott Smith isn't winning any new fans - given the ending to his story - but this new album will keep an old fan (me) happy for a while to come.

Tags: , , , ,

0 Responses to "New Elliott Smith Album"

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009