Driving Efficiently

Wow, I read this post on Boing Boing about the world's most fuel-efficient driver (or "mileage hacker"):

Wayne Gerdis may be the most fuel-efficient driver in the world. Through tricky coasting, careful acceleration, and driving without braking, the "king of the hypermilers" can apparently squeeze 59 MPG out of a non-hybrid Honda Accord and more than 100 MPG from a Toyota Prius.
That's 25 kilometres per litre! I'm posting this to perhaps help my friend Leigh who is a big advocate of efficient driving :-)

Tags: , ,

3 Responses to "Driving Efficiently"

Rodney Olsen said... Wednesday, March 07, 2007 3:25:00 PM

My fuel for 100 kilometres is a bowl of cereal, a banana and a couple of litres of water.

Thomas said... Wednesday, March 07, 2007 10:32:00 PM

Good one Rodney! Since we've been looking for a second car and I've been catching the bus, I am also proud to say I've ridden my bike TWICE...

Leigh said... Monday, March 19, 2007 10:05:00 PM

An very interesting post, Tom, but there is no way I'd do half the stuff these guys do - my family's life is worth much more than saving a few litres. And if this guy totals one car in his life time doing these things, the energy spent in building his replacement car / disposing of his last car would probably outweigh the environmental stavings.

The real savings are in using moderate accelleration / decelleration and trying to time the traffic lights, which are perfectly safe practices and not really any slower in city driving.

I'm with Rodney - the bike is the answer. I've done 15 000kms since August 2004, and almost all of these were commuting kilometers. These sorts of fuel savings = the purchase price of a new carbon framed bike every two years. Not to mention the physical and mental benefits. Garn, Tom - ride to work!

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009