My Christmas Facts

Fact 1: Christmas is coming. When you have kids, you can say this with a straight face in November, and mean it in the same way as "next Saturday is coming" or "dinner-time is coming". It seems that close. Truth be told, we've been talking about Christmas in our little family since early September :-)

Fact 2: For kids, Christmas largely means presents. Sure, they get to see family, remember Jesus' birthday, eat lots, give gifts and set up Christmas trees, but the majority of thinking about Christmas is thinking about getting presents.

Fact number 2 isn't necessarily a bad thing. Olivia and I do everything we can as parents to discourage greed, encourage sharing, and talk about being unselfish, and what other people will enjoy (which is hard for kids...and adults, come to think of it).

I guess as a parent you kind of feed off your kids' excitement over Christmas. In the real world, work goes on, life goes on, and maybe I just want Christmas to be more than just one or two days. I admit it: I get excited in the long lead-up to December 25th!

I enjoy giving gifts, and so does Olivia. Olivia brings a high degree of practicality to Christmas - she makes lists, she ensures everyone is taken into account, and some years has had all the shopping done and wrapped by October (this year, she's just putting the finishing touches on buying gifts today).

As you might be able to tell, I really admire her organisation skills. If it was left to me, I'd be telling people what I was *gonna* get them instead of a last-minute gift voucher...

Past posts on Christmas: Christmas Reading, Christmas is coming...

Tags: , , ,

2 Responses to "My Christmas Facts"

Olivia Williams said... Wednesday, November 22, 2006 10:44:00 PM

Thanks Hugs! I thought that my "organisational" christmas ideas were more annoying than practical. Good to know that you appreciate it!
What would you like for christmas this year????....

Thomas said... Thursday, November 23, 2006 9:12:00 PM

Christmas is ages away! I've got *weeks* to think of something (cough...xbox360...cough!

:-)

Hugs

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009