Spending More Money

Mick (SplaTT) Stanic posts about "A-Z Retail Tricks To Make You Shop" - things retailers do to make you spend more money while you're in their shop. The quote at the top of the article says it all:

"If we went into shops only when we needed to buy something, and if once in there we bought only what we needed, the economy would collapse, boom." Paco Underhill, CEO Envirosell

While the article isn't exactly localised to Australia, it lists obvious and not-so-obvious tactics that even I've noticed while shopping. My favorite idea from the article is:
Hopscotch – One American supermarket chain hit upon the idea of drawing a hopscotch in the aisle next to the children’s cereal in order to make the children play and thus pin Mum & Dad to a point where the children could hassle them for treats.

I reckon I'm pretty good at not being swayed by obvious ploys, but some of these marketing tactics are aimed at the subconscious level. The antidote to these kind of things might be sites like Get Rich Slowly (reading this site has helped me learn about finances and spend in a more controlled manner - not that I was ever spend crazy).

The good news is that my wife looks after the finances for the family, and we're doing well, so I could probably learn a lot from her. Perhaps her antidote for subliminal marketing is to shop with 3 kids in tow?

Tags: , ,

0 Responses to "Spending More Money"

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009