"Friends Reunited"/"SchoolFriends"

After prompting from my younger bro some time ago, and a post from Rodney Olsen last year, I finally looked at "Friends Reunited" (formerly "SchoolFriends"), an Australian site for finding people you used to go to school with.

For the record, I went to Maranatha Christian School in Doveton and Endeavour Hills from 1980 to 1991. The school was probably a small to medium sized private school - my Year 12 class had only 11 guys in it. It was easy to pretty much know everyone within a couple of years of your year level (made all the easier by having three younger brothers).

Back to Friends Reunited: the site does what it says it does. On the plus side, the layout is easy to follow and the site works - I selected my school from a list, and straight away was able to see the names of 100 or so past students that went to school in the same timeframe as I did. Registration is free, with prompts to upgrade if you want to use features such as actually contacting someone on the list. One negative is the marketing for a dating site - it's not like I get enough dating crap from messages appended to people's e-mails by their e-mail provider (Hotmail, you know what I'm talking about)!

It was good to see a few old names on the site, people that I haven't spoken to or heard of for years (a bit like the recent Sven wedding).

I reckon the only way sites like this must work is if lots of people use them - I'm glad to be a number, and I'm contributing my bit by using the site!

p.s. Rodney did anyone get back in touch with you after you sent some messages out?

[Listening to: We Are All Made Of Stars (Live) - Moby - Live at Splendour in the Grass Festival, Byron Bay (03:46)]

Tags: , ,

3 Responses to ""Friends Reunited"/"SchoolFriends""

Rodney Olsen said... Wednesday, May 31, 2006 10:29:00 AM

I've had mixed success. I sent out a number of emails but only had a couple of people reply.

I think that a lot of people add themselves then don't keep their details up to date. I reckon that a lot of the email addresses they have are out of date.

Thomas said... Friday, June 02, 2006 1:13:00 PM

Hey Rodney, thanks for your comment. I saw the same thing as you did (information that looked out-of-date); maybe people only visit once and don't come back? Some people from my era had registered a couple of years ago, looks like I missed the boat?

Cheers, Thomas

Anonymous said... Monday, June 09, 2008 8:28:00 PM

I received an email from FriendsReunited.com.au last week and the site is now totally free so I contacted a friend I hadn't spoken to for 15 years! Thanks goodness they're now free.

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009