What's Hot in Tommo's World

Testify (Payable On Death)Lately I've been listening to the new P.O.D. album Testify (Amazon, Atlantic Records). They've regained some of the heavy rap/rock cool sound they had with Satellite and fused it with the more melodic chorus's from Payable On Death. I'm going to sound a little zapped out saying this, but: It rocks!

I also recently bought, as part of my "back catalogue", the Foo Fighters' The Color and the Shape, which has two of my favorite songs ever, Hero and Everlong. I'd forgotten how up-front the drums sound in this CD - I guess I've been conditioned to gentle tunes by listening to Elliott Smith's B-sides.

I thought I'd use this post as a dumping ground for some of the movies we've watched recently too, ranging from hot to cold (these are my own personal opinions; Olivia had vastly different ideas about some of these movies):

Scalding: Downfall - a German movie about Hitler's last days, based on a book by one of his secretaries. Sad and chilling. One of the best movies I've seen in a long time.
Hot: King Kong - I really enjoyed this movie. It plays a little like a classic Hollywood film with a damsel in distress, a beast, the hero, and the scoundrel, along with a soaring score and even soft-filter close-ups. The effects are so good they blend seamlessly with the film and don't dominate (in fact, we don't get to see Kong until about an hour in).

As a side note: going to the cinemas to see this was interesting, as some people had bought in very little kids and there were some 11 (or so) year-olds in the row in front of us that talked almost non-stop through the first 20 minutes at least (so were the parents, sitting a little down in the same aisle). I actually did something out of character and asked them to be a little quieter!
Medium: The Island - an interesting story (with some visually stunning sequences, and the sets are fantastic in this movie) with Ewan McGregor putting on his best Ritchie Cunningham accent...but we eventually find out the reason why. I'm glad I didn't really know what this movie was about before I saw it, to help add to the suspense and unfolding nature of the story.
Mild: The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - I didn't quite "get" this movie but enjoyed it anyway (probably not quite as laugh-out-loud funny as similar films like Rushmore). Bill Murray was very funny, a return to form for me after not liking Lost in Translation.
Cold: Herbie - Olivia liked it though.
Frozen: Mindhunters - one of those dumb thriller movies where people go off by themselves and end up dying, and everything the killer plans works, even though it's mostly illogical. I'd take a smart thriller like The Usual Suspects any day.


Technorati tags: , , ,

0 Responses to "What's Hot in Tommo's World"

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009