"Narnia" Review

As I posted about in early December, I was busting to see The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when it hit Australian cinemas. Last night Olivia and I had the chance to see it, and although I enjoyed it a lot, the movie did not quite meet my high expectations.

In the final analysis, I'd give The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe 7.5 out of 12. The human actors are quite good (I imagined the Witch would be older), and Olivia and I really liked Lucy's performance (Edmund also was suitably narky, just like in the book). The visual effects are stunning, but maybe the PG rating meant that the whole package didn't have the impact of movies like my favourite Lord of the Rings trilogy. Maybe I'm getting older and jaded, too - I detected a hint of Disney "sugar-coating" in the film's packaging, right down to the ads for the McDonald's meal and computer game before the film (I hate the feeling that I'm being marketed to).

I guess my whole feeling after the movie was that I was expecting to be swept off my feet by the movie...and wasn't. I have read (or been read) the stories probably 10 or 15 times since I was first able to listen, and I guess I've built up in my head what I think Narnia would look like. It was still an enjoyable movie, and I would recommend seeing it especially for fans of the stories.

2 Responses to ""Narnia" Review"

Michelle said... Wednesday, January 11, 2006 11:06:00 PM

I enjoyed the movie too, but think I'll have to watch it a few times for all the bits to truly sink in. It wasn't as dramatic as LOTR, of course - but the story never was to start with. It's on our to-get list once out on DVD.

One thing that gave a good few people in the cinema a fright was when Edmund stepped over the wolf... :) (I was expecting it)

Thomas said... Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:48:00 AM

Hi Michelle, you make a good point that "Narnia" isn't as dramatic as LOTR, and I think on-screen the scale and feel of the two are different too. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009