Scooter?

I mentioned previously that I have a 10- to 15-minute commute by car every day. We are currently a 1-car family but Olivia and I have realised that this must change with the onset of kindergarten next year.

So I have been looking into the options to enable me to basically get to work, so Olivia can have the car:

  1. get a 2nd-hand small car, with the associated registration and maintenance (and of course petrol)
  2. ride my bike (ummm, there are issues with that!)
  3. get a scooter
I like option 3 because both registration and petrol will be a lot cheaper. A downside is that only I will be able to use it, and I will not be able to take the kids anywhere. I'll also need a motorcycle license and a change of clothes each day.

Any thoughts? Has anyone been through this process and is willing to comment?

4 Responses to "Scooter?"

Rodney Olsen said... Tuesday, October 04, 2005 1:34:00 PM

Can you explain the issues with cycling?

I know that sometimes cycling simply isn't possible but I reckon that most obstacles can be overcome.

Thomas said... Tuesday, October 04, 2005 2:28:00 PM

Umm, well, [hesitates, not wanting to expose his shame]...Rodney, I'll be straight with you, bike riding every day would be too much effort! And I'd have to leave home 45 minutes earlier (as well as arriving home 45 minutes later). I don't reckon that's maintainable for 12 months a year. [hides back under rock]

Rodney Olsen said... Monday, October 10, 2005 10:00:00 AM

Fair answer.

Maybe you should start getting out on a bike on weekends and build up. Commute by bike one day a week. You might find that you'd add an extra day or two in a few months time.

On the other hand, I know that not everyone is wired like me and not everyone will get into cycling the way I do. :)

Thomas said... Monday, October 10, 2005 1:00:00 PM

Thanks for being lenient with me Rodney! You have some good suggestions...as the weather gets finer, I think once a week is doable.

Cheers,

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009