Facts of Life

Michelle posts about her Facts of Life, and in the same vein (thanks for the inspiration, Michelle!), here's my Facts of Life:

  1. I'm never going to be a pop star, a famous person, or even remotely trendy. I wear pretty old clothes most of the time. I like shorts and t-shirts and loose clothes - definitely no "cool" factor there.
  2. I have a thing for chocolate. There is no cure.
  3. I will never like mainstream music. I've tried, but I hate anything that is fake/overhyped/phony (like artists that are "made"), has dumb words or is too "cool" in a posturing kind of way (see number 1 above - I ain't "cool"). My music will always be slightly off-beat and individual (and chances are I'll be telling everyone about it for a long time).
  4. I'm never going to be an astronaut. It was my dream when I was a kid to join the Air Force and then move on to being an astronaut, but not possessing perfect vision ruled me out from flying for the Air Force (although I could have dreamt to be a navigator).
  5. I'm never going to be Mr Universe, because I have a little bump of bone that sticks out of the middle of my chest. Oh, and I'm not very muscly ;-)

All the rest of my life is up for grabs, but these couple are day-in, day-out certainties!

4 Responses to "Facts of Life"

Michelle said... Tuesday, August 02, 2005 7:27:00 PM

It's amazing what facing up to some of those facts can do. It's like a slap in the face, reality hitting - in a GOOD way. You can get on with what you are all about without worrying about the stuff you're not! :)

Thomas said... Wednesday, August 03, 2005 2:15:00 PM

Hey Michelle, I agree, I don't see these facts as somwhow "limiting" me. There's stuff I am, and stuff I am not!

Simon said... Saturday, August 06, 2005 5:15:00 PM

I don't know Tom...
It sounds to me like you are getting old and losing touch with your childhood/childish dreams... I still think you could be all those things that you want (and don't want), but you choose not to.

... That's how I choose to think of it- I think that if I wanted to I could still be anything (even an astronaut), but I choose not to be...

Thomas said... Monday, August 08, 2005 1:40:00 PM

I hear you bro, and I know in the past it seems like the highest priority for me was just to "keep my options open". Now I see that's not necessarily true - I reckon my highest priority is to find something I enjoy and go for it 100%. Yes, my choice will also involve un-choosing the other things, I guess!

(I was going to add something like this to my original post, about when I look at the people I consider have "made it", they are not spending time and effort "keeping their options open")

Sometimes my choices are already made for me (e.g. I am not going to be a jockey or the Young Woman's Athlete of the Year, no matter what I choose!)

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009