Uncomfort Zone

Recently I've been struggling with a concept that is totally foreign to me: stepping outside of my "comfort zone", or challenging myself.

I can honestly say that I'm quite complacently satisfied with who I am right now. There's things that always need tweaking, but that's OK; I'm happy with the way I've approached situations, I'm comfortable in my job, things are just fine with my marriage and being a Dad, and life in general seems just right.

So now here comes the hard part - that what I described in the last paragraph is not a good place to be! What I just described is like soaking in a warm, shallow pool. And I'm slowly learning that sometimes, I've got to make myself go for a swim. Please don't misunderstand me - I'm not saying I'm perfect, just that I'm comfortable...perhaps also I'm lazy, or I don't like making waves, but I know that unless I stretch myself, that I won't get places (career-wise) or improve as a person.

In a job-related sense, I even came across a blog post the other day that said if your boss is not yelling at you at least twice a year, you're not pushing the bounds/innovating enough! Would I want my boss, spouse, friends, etc. to yell at me at least twice a year? No way!

So I'm still learning about stepping outside of my "comfort zone" and giving myself a bit of encouragement. Feel free to help (yelling allowed too!)

2 Responses to "Uncomfort Zone"

Liv said... Thursday, August 11, 2005 3:49:00 PM

Hugs - I think that you are doing a great job in moving forward, but more importantly, are recognising that there is room to improve/grow/mature. That is the beginning and the rest is a great journey.

i love you.

Wifey

Thomas said... Thursday, August 11, 2005 11:02:00 PM

Thanks Wifey. I'll need lots of encouragement - you know I'm more about conquering and the destination rather that the journey...

Love You Too

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009