Lego is Cool

When I was a kid I loved Lego - the little bricks that click together. Possibly I was even addicted through the early initiation of Duplo?

I remember at one stage playing with Simon and David when Nathan was still pretty young, and going through a time of imagining places and building vehicles in keeping with certain "roles": my Lego man (usually blue and white) was "Dad", and Simon and David had "Boys" (just the generic name of "Boy", I don't think they had first names!)

In the types of games we played, one or more of us could go "bad" and wreak havoc, but then the rest of the Lego men would eventually win and life would be back to normal...(Remembering this makes me laugh just to think about it. I suppose I would have been somewhere between 10 and 12 years old, making my brothers somewhere between 6 and 10?)

Lego was great fun then, and now we have newer, cleaner, bigger bits floating around the house for TJ and Maya. TJ enjoys blocks probably more than Maya - Uncle Dave and he make lots of huge creations that actually last a couple of days before being packed up. TJ and I have had fun visiting the Lego website to play online games, too.

I see Lego as a great way to open avenues for the imagination: my playing when I was young involved time machines, space ships, towns, lasers, guns and even the Lego trainset. Now, there's Bionicle, MindStorms, pirate, pink castle and racing-themed sets, and even Star Wars Lego sets! There's a Lego Users Group online, a Lego New Testament and of course the Mini-Mizer too.

Lego is cool.

3 Responses to "Lego is Cool"

Michelle said... Monday, July 18, 2005 5:36:00 PM

My son inherited much of the Lego we had used as kids, and has now added a whole pile of Bionicles, MindStorm (electronics) and other bits - so much so that we might have to soon acquire a rather large container so we can keep it all in one place!

He's 12 now, but I don't see him running out of enthusiasm for Lego anytime soon. He creates stuff I would never even have thought of.

Thomas said... Monday, July 18, 2005 11:16:00 PM

Thanks Michelle, it seems I've got a lot of that ahead of me! My 10-year-old cousin made a supermarket with Lego the other day. I would've never thought of that!

The MindStorms look cool, I tried convincing Olivia so we could get some with the computer, but turns out no-one sells them around here anyway.

Nice of you to drop by Michelle, keep up the great blogging!

Rodney Olsen said... Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:51:00 PM

Have you disabled your atom feed in your blogger settings? I'm reading lots of blogs through their feeds and I'm missing your posts.

Do you have any other feeds available?

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009