The Office

Recently I hired a DVD of the British comedy TV series "The Office". I don't know why I did; at the time I thought I remembered seeing an amusing bit out of the show a long time ago on TV, and I figured, I work in an office, maybe it would be funny.

Well, Olivia and I laughed and laughed the whole way through the DVD. The show is shot in a "mock-umentary" style in a fictitious paper office, and the dry kind of humour really appealed to us both. I'm looking forward to finding the DVD of series 1 (which we haven't seen yet, the one we hired was series 2).

The US version of "The Office" started last night (Wednesday 22nd June) in Melbourne, on Channel Ten - I was hoping it would be even half as funny, as that would still make it worth watching.

Turns out the US version is pretty funny. I'm glad it's done in the style of the UK series but there's definite differences. Last nights episode on "Diversity Day" had some truly funny moments. The manager's love for Chris Rock and impromptu performance during a racial discrimination session had to be seen to be believed.

Some quotes from the original UK series that I found while trolling around the internet:


David: “Those of you who think you know everything are annoying to those of us who do.”

Jennifer (David's boss): “Have you made any redundancies?”
David: “I gave a speech, only this morning, to my staff, assuring them there would not be cutbacks at this branch, and that there certainly wouldn’t be redundancies.”
Jennifer: “Well why on earth would you do that?”
David: “Why? Ooh, a little word that I think’s important in management called morale.”
Jennifer: “Well surely it’s gonna be worse for morale in the long run when there are going to be redundancies and you’ve told people there won’t be.”
David: “...... they won’t remember.”

David: “Well, there’s good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I’ve been promoted, so....every cloud. You’re still thinking about the bad news aren’t you?”

Gareth: “Alright, if you're so clever, what am I thinking?”
Tim: “You're thinking 'How could I kill a tiger armed only with a biro'.”
Gareth: “Nope.”
Tim: “You're thinking 'If I crash landed in the jungle could I eat my own shoes'.”
Gareth: “No. And you can't.”
Tim: “Alright, what are you thinking?”
Gareth: “I was wondering whether there will ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark.”


Ha ha hee hee...

1 Response to "The Office"

Liv said... Thursday, July 21, 2005 10:06:00 PM

Heee Heeee Haaaa Haaa Haaa Hooo.

That is funny, and I can just picture them doing that. And you know, I reakon one day there will be a boy who will swim faster than a shark.

Love you.

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009