Half-Ton Man

I couldn't go past an article entitled "Half-ton man works toward gastric surgery", describing how a man who weighed half a ton (487 kilograms, or 76 stone) is losing weight.

Doing a quick Google search reveals that much has already been written about Patrick Deuel. After reading the story and alternately laughing, feeling disgusted and then feeling angry, I guess I realised this guy is entitled to medical help, and if he's serious about getting down to 300 pounds (136 kg), then good on him. The article points out that when he arrived at hospital, one of the doctors on his nine-person team said Patrick was dying, so it's not like he's got it good!

Good luck Patrick.

4 Responses to "Half-Ton Man"

Rodney Olsen said... Thursday, September 30, 2004 10:30:00 AM

I'm a big guy. Too big in fact. But this is amazing. This guy is planning to lose several times my body weight and he'll still be a lot heavier than me.

Thomas said... Thursday, September 30, 2004 1:02:00 PM

Yeah Rodney - and the reason he's aiming for 136kg is that that's the weight where stomach stapling becomes viable (evn though it's still dangerous). Being a radio announcer, do you find you have a sedentary lifestyle?

Maybe I should get on with your favorite workout - bike riding! Do you have 'Ride to Work Day' coming up soon?

Rodney Olsen said... Thursday, September 30, 2004 11:48:00 PM

Radio Announcing is fairly sedentary. Added to that, the radio station is only half the distance from home that my job in the city was.

I find it hard to discipline myself to do the extra kilometres I need to do.

Rodney Olsen said... Tuesday, October 05, 2004 8:51:00 AM

You really are going to have to post something new.

Every time I open your page, the first thing I see is the post title 'Half-Ton Man.

Immediately the old ZZ Top song 'Sharp Dressed Man' goes through my head and comes out, "Every girl's crazy 'bout a half-ton man". Somehow I don't think it's quite right.

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009