Chess

For Christmas last year, I bought Thomas a chess set, because he was getting back into it. He was so excited, and invited friends around to play chess, talk chess and strategise. All very positive things.

And then it happened.

He asked me to play. At first, I chose to let him try to explain the rules to me, I amused him by moving little bits around the board and appearing interested, while all the time quite bored. I lost every time (and for me, that is a real turn off. I am very competitive and don't like to lose all the time!!). As time wore on, I was experiencing inner conflict - to play and lose, or to play and try to win because, you know, I was getting better and surely I could win just once. But for a while, I lost some more and was quite depressed afterwards.

And then something else happened.

I won a game. Sheer luck, because Thomas wasn't feeling well, but I had experienced Checkmate! I was hooked for the next two weeks because I could win, I could win!! But then, I didn't win. Depressed again.

Times in our house are not so bad as they were before in the realm of chess. I have come to understand that Thomas is a much better chess player than I will ever be, but, we can have good, fun, friendly games and not have a complete crash afterwards when I inevitably loose.

I currently enjoy playing at www.chessworld.net called "Liv" (if you want to come online and play a game). I am even playing in a tournament!!!!

The moral of this story is: don't buy 2 player games for spouses if you don't want to play them, but if you do, chances are the quality time spent engaging in the game will far outweigh the negatives of a losing streak or such. And, you may find that playing the game you thought you didn't like is actually good fun and not so hard after all.

NB> Thomas is called "thomasswilliams" if you want a game with him, but be careful because he is good!!!!!

4 Responses to "Chess"

Rodney Olsen said... Monday, September 27, 2004 5:26:00 PM

I fear that I wouldn't be able to beat either of you. Maybe I'll start a game if I feel I need to be humbled at any time.

Thomas said... Tuesday, September 28, 2004 12:53:00 PM

And Wifey, you know how grateful I am you bought me that chess board. We've even started teaching TJ! And often when our little nephews come around they'll want to play as well.

One correction - you've won numerous times against me (yes, I am keeping score), and drawn (which is not a loss). Further than that, against other people (not just your husband) you've proved yourself online...well done!

Liv said... Tuesday, September 28, 2004 4:16:00 PM

Thanks Hugs - I appreciate the encouragement. But you are still my biggest challenge - in more ways than one!!!

Liv said... Tuesday, September 28, 2004 4:18:00 PM

Rodney - I don't think that you'll get humbled playing me, but Thomas is likely to whip your butt!! He is a great chess player, and even borrows books out from the library to get better. I just ask him to give me the high points so I can learn from his superior intellect!!!!

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009