Books for March 2004

I'm reading a few books right now, hope to finish some of 'em off over the holidays (yeah, right!)

Still going with "The Purpose-Driven(TM) Life". Half way through! This week has been about fellowship and community.

Warning: I may say something I might regret here. Let it be known that I'm enjoying the book on a fairly shallow level and it's good to be reminded of some of the universal principals (I don't think you have to be a Christian to read this book). Well, here goes...

I have found that so far in my reading I reckon Rick Warren's put together a good book but I find there's too many easy-to-remember almost-cliches and nice little devotional thoughts, sprinkled with Bible quotes. I feel that often he does not establish context for the Bible quotes - for one quote, he can say something along the lines of "this is what Paul says to the church in Corinth", and for another, he can say "this is what Paul is saying to us in the book of Corinthians". I like my teaching a bit more biblical, and while I can't (and won't) argue with Rick's principals, the lack of context (for me) means that the book is like well-meaning, slightly sugar-coated advice which is just not challenging.

OK. I'm also reading a software development classic called "The Mythical Man-Month" which is about, in one sentence, managing software projects (but it could apply to managing other projects). It's set up as a collection of short essays rather than one long tome and is 30-odd years old, but the edition I've got has been updated with some new chapters. The author, Fred Brookes, writes well and I'm really enjoying his book. In fact, I enjoyed it so much I wrote the man an e-mail, and he answered. Wow!

Next is Robinson Crusoe, $5 from a local bookstore. Just started, it's my "in the toilet" book (I don't spend that much time on the loo!)

I finished "The Man In The Mirror" (Pat Morley) and enjoyed it, I also finished "Wild at Heart" (John Eldridge) which I would recommend to any man as it deals with the issue of manliness in today's culture. I reckon that John Eldridge asks the right questions, and I guess I'm still milling over his answers. I'm also looking forward to reading the book that John Eldridge references extensively in "Wild at Heart" called "Iron John" by Robert Bly. Anyone read it?

0 Responses to "Books for March 2004"

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009