New DVD Player

Still at training today. My boss is so great for letting me go. Thanks boss!

We got a new DVD player, a real cheapo, but that's OK because it plays DVDs. I had to laugh at the instructions, though. I think the rules for writing instructions go like: write text, spell-check; take every third linking word (you know, the "ands", "buts", "ors", what are they, prepositions? adverbs?) and swap them with another linking word; take out every 7th punctuation mark; mis-spell every 17th word; totally remove every 23rd word; and lastly, let a small child have a go at the text for a couple of minutes!

I'm a computer programmer, so it shouldn't be too hard to whip up a program to do this automatically...

I was thinking about "life" the other day. I observed that there's at least two ways to take the word "life": the one people live (e.g. their day-to-day actions, circumstances, settings), and the whole flow of "life". The first kind is referred to in comments like "get a life", "I hate my life", "a life worth living" and "night life". The second is referred to in things like "the meaning of life" (or is that the first one?) For instance, the phrase "I need to get a life" makes no sense when you consider that I am actually a alive, that is, living. The first seems to indicate a level of control, the second something we are in regardless of whether we acknowledge it or not.

With only these two limited meanings in mind, I had a look at some of Jesus' words (I grabbed a couple of verses here so I got them right, from the American Standard Bible):

And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto the measure of his life? (Matthew 6:27)
He that findeth his life shall lose it; and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it. (Matthew 10:39)
For what shall a man be profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and forfeit his life? or what shall a man give in exchange for his life? (Matthew 16:26)
And he said unto them, Take heed, and keep yourselves from all covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth. (Luke 12:15)
I am the bread of life. (John 6:48)

I was encouraged, I reckon Jesus has a much bigger picture in mind when He uses the word "life" than the anemic kind of thing I think of when I use the word "life". Closer to my second thought, but enough to cover them both - I resolve to start thinking more along the second line of "life", rather than the more selfish first one.

0 Responses to "New DVD Player"

Post a Comment

 

Creative Commons LicenseThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons License. Copyright Thomas & Olivia Williams 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009